Monday, January 19, 2009

Another day out of school!

Well friday all schools on the island were closed due to bad weather(which I didn't really see to much of). Then of course was Martin Luther King Jr. Day so no school. We took the kids to the Pearl Harbor pool to swim since the weather looked so nice today. The best part was going to be the water slide they have. Kya could hardly contain his excitement. I knew he would go down that thing at least one a hundred times. The water was really cold so we all mostly sat around and waited for the slide to open. It took like an hour and a half. Then it was time all, the kids went running to the slide including Kya. Although we made a devasting mistake, not taking off the life jacket that he was wearing. NO LIFE JACKETS on the slide. So he took it off and went back to the slide, although it was too late. He was officially labeled as a kid that cannot swim so the Lifeguard told him he could not go on the slide. Poor Kya he was so sad! Then the other lifeguard said he could take a 25yard swim test. 25 YARDS....that is alot for a 7 year old. I was proud of Kya he got in and he swam his hardest for as long as he could. At least over 12 yards till he couldn't hold his head up above the water anymore. The Life guard broke his heart when she said "Im just going to say No". I couldn't believe it he had swam more then enough distance to handle the slide drop off to the ladder. I really don't even think half the kids going down the slide could swim 25 yards. We held our cool as our son cried with dissappointment. Then we decided once Kya started talking about grabbing the birds and throwing them into the pool we should leave.

3 comments:

Briana Ward said...

I hate that pool it is always so cold and the slide rule is dumb! I'm sorry Kya could not go on the slide but who needs a dumb ol' slide anyway lol. But good for him on his swimming skills that is great!

Amy Collins said...

That sucks!! I remember having a similar rule at Alan Witt when I was younger. I can't believe he swam that far though, that is really good...maybe he should start some swimming classes. Kelci is going to start this spring, that way by the time the summer comes she will know how to swim! Give him a big hug and kiss from me, I miss him a lot!

carol parker said...

I know how he must of felt when he thougt he could go down the slide, until the lifegaurd said to take off his life jacket and was a rule that you had to know how to swim to be safe. I am very pround of KYA he proved to them that he could swim. Even though it is always a good idea to wear your life jacket. love MEMA ana PEPA